arrow_back Return
Already Possible

Option to Transpose Key for Piano Without Syncing with Team

April 5, 2022
An option to transpose the key easily for piano without syncing with the rest of the team or having to use the Capo function could be nice.

We ran into an issue where the pianist wanted to transpose the song into C, but the rest of us were playing in G. We were all playing and realized the song key suddenly changed without a few noticing and as you can imagine, something sounded a bit off. For the time being, I am downloading each song into C and attaching the PDF and organizing it accordingly, which does require a bit more work and isn't practical for a last second live song change.
Posted by Jay
April 5, 2022
Hi Jay, the "Key" setting will affect the whole team, but the "Capo" setting will only affect the individual user.
Read more: https://www.worshiptools.com/docs/67-format-settings
Posted by WorshipTools
April 5, 2022
Correct, and that works great for guitarists who are used to capoing. But keep in mind capoing only transposes down, not up, while a piano may easily be transposed up or down, and it's common for pianist to transpose as close to the adjusted key as possible. If I had a song in Bb, but wanted to play it in C chord structure on piano to keep my sanity, I could transpose up by 2 (preferable) OR down by 10. Some quick math (12-2=10) would give you the capo number to use, but for some, this takes some time to think about or even understand.

An option to simply transpose from Bb to C without the math required to use the CAPO function, or changing every else's key, could keep them from accidentally transposing a song a half step above or below, which has happened to us several times while not using Music Stand. I guess I'm just thinking out loud for ways that Music Stand could help eliminate that from happening again.

I will say, I have no issues using the CAPO function but I do have to explain to others playing piano how to utilize it for themselves and NOT change the key. I think some see CAPO and think, "I'm not playing guitar, so I don't need to CAPO, I need to just change the key." I apologize for the long reply. I just didn't want something that could be a good option be labeled incorrectly as "Already Possible" because I didn't explain it well enough.
Posted by Jay
April 8, 2022
Hi Jay, your suggestion has been shared with the team. Since the option to transpose individual users' sheets without affecting the team is already possible with the capo function, the tag will remain as "Already Possible," but we are taking your more detailed suggestions into consideration.
Posted by WorshipTools
July 12, 2023
Hi, I'm not sure if this has been progressed any further but I haven't seen any ability to transpose sheet music at all - this would be really helpful if just pianist could transpose their own either up or down. I know capo is available for chords but I dont think there's any options available when viewing sheet music? Please correct me if I'm wrong!
Posted by Amie
Login to post a comment